The Fault in our Stars

So I've finally gotten around to reading the highly obsessed-over, rabies-inducing, Okay-ing worshipped young-adult-of-a-novel called The Fault in our Stars, known amongst almost every teen in America. Well, to be honest, it was mostly due to the incessant unavailability of the book in our library, having been checked out and put on hold and put on hold and put on hold until the library just couldn't take so many consecutive holds and desperately wrote "on hold for an immeasurable amount of time."
(Seriously.)

To be honest, TFIOS (I'm lazy and I'm referring to it as TFIOS and there's nothing you can do about it) was a disappointing book. To say the worst, it was not that amazing a book. Granted, I had read it after reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (I love Huck by the way) and The Great Gatsby, so it is in stark contrast with some of the best American novels of, well, America. But nevertheless, it was simply a young adult novel that had its twist of love and adventure and sarcasm, a hint of John Green's existential thoughts sprinkled here and there.
(I could quite literally hear John Green in some of those passages. I am serious. John. Green. As Augustus or Hazel.)
Long story short it's a love story about Hazel Grace and Augustus, who are both cancer patients. Hazel has terminal cancer and Augustus has "won" the battle against his cancer, now left with an amputated leg and a spunky heart. He charms Hazel at one of the Cancer Support Meetings and the story spirals from there. I can't really say much after that because well I can't tell you why, either.

TFIOS was supposed to make my cry. It really was. For some reason I've been losing all emotion in any sort of moving movie or story or whatever it may be. I was watching (to be perfectly on topic) one of the sadder episodes of BBC's Sherlock (behold, ladies and gentlemen, I am following the fads and obsessions of modern society), and I was quite literally trying to squeeze tears out of my eyes. I really was. Same with TFIOS. (At this point you all must know some way or another that there is a devastatingly sad part at a certain part of the book.) But to be honest, I didn't even know when the devastatingly sad part was supposed to be. I just kind of knew when I got there that sometime around now I should be crying and well, I didn't cry. Not a single drop.

Nevertheless I liked certain parts of the book because I am going through some medical plights right now and the emotions Hazel went through (especially the part when she feared that she was a "grenade") was so relatable that I actually squeezed a few tears there.
(But not the devastatingly sad part.)
(Nope.)

TFIOS is, to be generous, a 4 out of 5, and to be honest, a 3.5 out of 5. It was just another young adult novel to me, and perhaps it was the fact that I didn't bawl endlessly at the Devastatingly Sad Part that it didn't really do much to me.
Nevertheless I need to eat dinner now and I hope this was a good enough review because I don't quite feel like writing an in depth one for a young adult novel (I'm sorry).

Happy reading!