Scat by Carl Hiaasen

Yes, I found the book the same day I found FOUND. (Funny. Found FOUND. ) And now that I think of it, when I first entered the library, I was in a sort-of sulky mood, and I'd muttered, "I'm not picking any books... Have enough at home anyway to read..." Yes, it was just for my brother, because he had read all of his books and wanted more. I, on the other hand, had a stack of books (that I sort of did not want to read). The books I'd read were beginning to be boring. Treasure Island, and classics. You know.
But, of course, the mysterious power of books was all over the library, and I couldn't resist looking around. And my mom suddenly whispered fiercely for us to come over. There was a summer reading section place, on the tops of the low-bookshelves, there were, organized, summer reading book for the library's town. (I live somewhere else so it does not pertain to me). But I looked there, anyway. And, long time, no see, there was... HADDIX at the spine of a book. Very appealing. VERY. Couldn't resist... I read the book-cover-flap-about-the-story thing. And I liked it. Only,,, it was the second book. Found the first. Then, I think, as I was looking in the "H" section, I saw Hiaasen. And I knew I had to borrow that, too. Just had to. And did. And guess what that book was...
The very book that I am writing about now.

Scat.

         To tell you the truth, I didn't want to read it. Why did I read it, you say? Because I knew this author was an amazing author and that you can never judge books by their cover. And I had. But I'd just forced myself to borrow that book from the library. Good thing that I did. But the cover WAS not that appealing. To me, I mean. I guess the person put random stuff irrevelant to the real plot to make it sound all exciting and funny, but really, I like summaries straight and to the point, without getting into unnecessary details such as a stuffed rat named Chelsea. That really made me not want to read it. But then, I'd remembered, in Hoot, one of the best books ever, they'd also said;"potty-trained alligators" And let me tell you the truth, those alligators were NOT POTTY TRAINED. So I thought maybe the same person wrote those two things. And I really don't think Carl Hiaasen wrote it, either. And if he did.. maybe he's just kind of bad at writing catchy side-story-abouts (or whatever you call it...)

SCAT.
This time, the word scat was mentioned in the book, quite a few times. And very relevant.

         What I noticed was that both books I've read from him, Hoot and Scat, were... well... along the same topic. So I kind of knew what would happen. It seems he has a strong liking of the environment and the preservation of it. Meaning he wants to protect Florida Wildlife. Which I totally agree to. Don't you? But then there are people who don't care a bit about wildlife and just throw their soda cans on the street...

ANYWAY
I guess the characters are pretty similar, too. Always a boy and a girl, and then there's the one person who started it, who, in both stories, don't care about getting in the media. And then there's the people who prevent it. They're always some company. Of course. Oil Drilling. And a Pancake House.  and.... drumroll... the main animal that's being protected.
         Besides the similarities,,,



         This time it's the panther. A baby panther. At first, I thought it was about a cat or something, because Scat had cat in it, and the cover had a picture of (what I thought was) a cat. An angry cat or something.
         The first chapter was so funny. But I knew, then, that Smoke would be the bad guy. (oops.) But it was so funny how he "calmly chomped the pencil in half, chewed up the graphite..." It is truly hilarious how Carl Hiaasen comes up with such queer character. Though in the end, I pity him and his father.
          Though... I wonder what grade they're in. I mean, now that I think of it, I think it might be high school, but I've always imagined them in middle school. It's easier to imagine like that. But then they said that Smoke was 16 and that he was held back two years, which makes him be with 14 year olds, and he's in the same class as Marta and Nick... so that makes Marta and Nick 14 years old. Oh, gosh.. I can't imagine them that old. I imagined them twelve or eleven.. maybe thirteen...
         
           Mrs. Starch is really... strict. When she dissapeared into the wildfire, which was actually arson (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arson <-definition), I thought, for a chapter or two, that she was... dead. And I thought definitely, that Smoke started the fire, first of all, because he was suddenly transformed into a total human being. (If you've read the book, you know what I mean.) I thought he did that as a lousy cover story that he didn't start the fire, especially when he clenched his jaws and took a slow, tight breath before you know... apologizing to the teacher. You have to read the book to actually know what I'm talking about, by the way.
           But I began wondering, that's what Nick and Marta are suspecting; that Smoke is the one who started the fire. But it said, on the book cover-flap-story-about, (I'll call it cover-summary for short), that "... No, they figure out the class delinquent, Smoke, has something to do with her disappearance. And he does! But not in the way they think. There's a lot going on in Black Vine Swamp than any one player in this twisted tale can see..." So that means... he's not the one that started it? So that means, he's doing something else that has something to do with the fire. And I knew he did have something to do with Mrs. Starch. But not that way. I'd never imagined they would be in together to protect a baby panther and bring it to its mother.

           On the other side of the story... Drake McBride and Jimmy Lee Bayliss. McBride is the Delinko of Scat (Delinko from Hoot, a dense police officer who wants to be a detective, but isn't up to the smarts for it). And Jimmy Lee Bayliss queerly reminds me of two people from Hoot: the person who was in charge of the construction site, and Chuck Muckle, the person in charge of all Mother Paula's Pancake houses. McBride is very unintelligent to actually break the law to make more money. I'd rather just quit the job, or maybe, with some sense, try to make more money by doing something.. I don't know, I don't have an oil drilling business. But it I do have a strong disliking for oil-drilling. And you'll know, too, why I do. If you pay attention to news (coughBPcough).
            At first, I didn't know if I liked Jimmy Lee Bayliss or not. (I'd decided that Drake McBride was too much of an idiot to be much of my liking.) And anyway... At first, I didn't care. You know, I was like, okay, there's a character, and he has a fairly long name, and he works for this really not smart person, whatever. But then, when I learned how he's the one that started the fire, I immediately hated him. I realized that he was the bad guy of the story, and Drake McBride... well... he didn't know what he was doing. It was all Jimmy Lee Bayliss's doing, who started the fire, who set up Smoke as the arsonist. In which he wasn't. Almost as if Jimmy Lee Bayliss was the boss of the company. And speaking of taking a liking of characters, I kind of like Twilly person. Twilly is such a funny name. I can't help laughing every time I say it. Twilly. hehe... Anyway...
           My favorite part was when they were saving the baby panther. Nice twist, with the split personalities with Smoke, and how the "bad" guys and the good guys came together to become the good guys and that they save a little panther's life.
And great thing, how Jimmy Lee Bayliss and Drake McBride got in jail.Well, actually, McBride, being the idiot he is, ran away from the cops and is probably looking forward to a few more months in jail. At least Jimmy Lee Bayliss has some sense to just give in and go to jail and come out.
AGAIN..
save the environment!!!!!!!!!