The Willoughbys -- By Lois Lowry

The Willoughbys

By Lois Lowry





IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK - THE WILLOUGHBYS BY LOIS LOWRY - THEN PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO READ THIS BLOG ENTRY BECAUSE IT CONTAINS INFORMATION WHICH WILL SPOIL THE ENDING OF THIS BOOK. PLEASE CONSIDER NOT READING THIS ENTRY. THIS MESSAGE ONLY APPLIES TO THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK.I'M WARNING YOU!!

The second book that I read this year by Lois Lowry - one of my favorite authors... 
Usually, Lois Lowry would write funny stories (Anastasia Krupnik series) or mysterious, otherworldyish stories (Gathering Blue, The Messenger, The Giver, etc.). But this book was the differentest book from what she usually writes (I'm writing a lot of words that aren't really words today). It's almost a classicalish book. Like Sherlock Holmes without the bunch of sophisticated long words in it. You know, usually those kinds of books include statements that explain a lot, but the something that they are explaining is really obvious. And they use the same word or phrase a lot, but it isn't like in school, where you have to look it up in the Thesaurus to find a better word to replace it so it doesn't sound repetitive. Here's an example from the book The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry...


" 'Shouldn't we be orphans?' Barnaby B asked.
The WIlloughby children were seated on the front steps playing a complicated game to which only Tim knew the rules.
'Why?' asked Barnaby A, moving down a step because the rules said he must if he asked a question, and of course, 'Why?' was a question. "
                                          The Willoughbys, Lois Lowry               .

See? Of course, Why is a question, but why explain that, if we already know that? And a phrase that is used frequently throughout the book is "Old-fashioned." In the book, everyone, the narrator, the Willoughby children, and the Nanny, and most of the characters say that the Willoughbys were Old Fashioned. 

Here's a part of the story (I'll be skipping some parts, since if I didn't, it would be too long):

" Once upon a time there was a family named Willoughby: an old-fashioned type of family, with four children. ... ... ... Their lives proceeded in exactly the way lives proceeded in old-fashioned stories.
    One day they even found a baby on their doorstep. This happens quite often in old-fashioned stories. ... "
                                                  The Willoughbys, Lois Lowry 

You see? 
To tell you the truth, I didn't really like this book. It's not the type of book I would really like to read... Sometimes, I have to read such classicalish books, but usually, I like reading adventurish and exciting books. Usually, classical books that are boring are about a typical day of a person who lived a long time ago, and there would be some kind of small problem, but in it, huge, vocabularyish long sophisticated advanced words would be wedged between the sentences to make it that much less understandable. If only the words weren't so long, I would read them... But I guess that's how you learn, by challenging. And now that technology improved, I can use my iPod to look up words on my Dictionary.com app. I don't have to look through the huge textbook of words when you can just type it in. Though I think technology is going a bit too far...
Anyway, I think it was a good book, but to me, not really... Not the kind that I would like... But a good read anyway... I even wrote a book report on it. The ending was weirdly funny, since all four of the people's names were Barnaby - Barnaby A, Barnaby B, Barnaby Melanoff Jr., and Barnaby Melanoff (the candy-maker millionaire). But I think the story jumped to conclusions a little bit. How Mr. Melanoff's son got to his house. The story "made way" for him to easily get home. But all in all, not a bad book...
But I would rate it a 3.75 (out of 5, of course not 10...) from my opinion, though I'm sure there are lots of people in this world who absolutely love this book...
not that I don't like it or anything...


THIS WAS A BOOK REVIEW ON THE WILLOUGHBYS BY LOIS LOWRY


PLEASE RATE THIS BOOK!!! JUST RATE THIS POST. IT'S UNDER THE END OF THIS POST... pleaseeee