New Book -- Rules by Cynthia Lord


I just noticed - all of the books that I read have a one-word title. Inkheart, Pretties, and now, Rules. I am already reading it. You should know that, if you read the previous blog entry. =D

Rules
By Cynthia Lord



So far, the info that I know is that it is about a girl named Catherine that is twelve years old. Okay, that's not all I know. I know more. Her brother has autism. She is ALWAYS responsible for taking care of her brother and she wants some attention, too. But her parents don't seem to understand that a twelve year old needs some "caringness" from their parents. Or so she thinks.
It is a great book! So far. Let me tell you a story. And it's true, by the way. And it is the reason why I am reading this book...
          In fourth grade, I went to a school called Lafayette Estates Elementary School. I had just moved there. It was a new place to me. But I had some friends. They all were living in the same apartment. So was I. I didn't know why they made all of the kids in our apartment move schools to this new school, but I found out today. Officially today. Turns out, Lafayette Estates was a new school, and they wanted students. Of course, since it is a school. So, they found out that School #14 (my old school before Lafayette) had a lot of students. They wanted a lot of new kids, (but they already had some kids in their school, I think...) so they just said (since a lot of kids in our apartment went to our school,) that all of the kids in our apartment development should move to Lafayette Estates School. And we did. My new fourth grade teacher was Mrs. Kaminsky. To what I remember. And she was a good teacher, too. She read us a book aloud, usually. It was called Rules. I liked it. But, our family had decided to move to Holmdel, the town I live in right now. Anyway, I only stayed at that very school for about a month or so. I didn't get to see Mrs. Kaminsky finish the book. I really wanted to read it. However, over the years, I forgot, and when I did remember, I forgot the title and the author, only that one of the main characters had autism. Only recently did I hear our sixth grade teacher give a list of good books (coincidentally, to read aloud to us) and a light bulb went off when I heard the title, Rules by Cynthia Lord. And that's when I remembered: that was the book that Mrs. Kaminsky read to us! I soon got the book, and here I am, reading that very book I hadn't been able to finish. 


That was quite a long story. Or maybe not, compared to other books. Definitely. Back to the main subject. 
Rules is a great book so far. I have a feeling that it will be a heartwarming story. Because usually, when people write about people with a sickness, or mental problem, etc., then it is usually sad or heartwarming. Or maybe not always.

          I feel bad for Catherine, because her mom especially doesn't seem to care for her, only her brother. But her dad seems to understand a little bit, but doesn't have the time to actually "understand." Oh, I don't know how to explain it! But you know, how your dad is funny and stuff, and they are nice, and mom is always devoting her life on her son (not you, I mean). Not that all parents are like that. Just in stories. I think. And how dad is nice, but he just ACTS nice, but doesn't understand. Mom is not nice. Well she is, but she is too caring. For the other kid with some problems. In Catherine's life, that's just how it goes. And I would understand why they act so nice to David, after all, he has autism. He can't help taking his pants off when he spills his juice on his pants. He can't help if he thinks that a peach is a funny looking apple. That's just how it goes. For David. And it can't change, unless he gets over the whole autism.
          On the other hand, I feel bad for David, too. Only the thing is, he doesn't really realize that his life is miserable. Not that I'm saying it is. Or is it? Ohhh.... It's hard to explain. ohhhh.... EVERYTHING is hard to explain.... I mean, that David doesn't feel that his life is normal or the way someone would want it to be. This is seriously hard to explain. To David's eyes, he has a perfect life. That's how his brain works. He doesn't know what retard means, and when Ryan calls him a retard laughs at him, David laughs along. Aren't jokes supposed to be funny? And when he sees Ryan again a few hours later, he acts like Ryan was his best friend. He doesn't realize that Ryan is rolling his eyes. I feel bad for him. But it wouldn't make sense. You see, I would say I don't want autism. But maybe I do. Because then, to my eyes, life would be perfect. Do you understand? So, if I felt bad for him, he wouldn't know, because I can't. There is no reason. On the outside, he seems wierd. So people feel bad. But in the inside, he is having a great time. Sort of. Not that he's ALWAYS happy or something. No. People need more than one feeling.
Okay, this is getting long. I think you read enough for today.
Expect another post coming soon!
--
RULES